Wednesday, April 8, 2009

twilight zone











Ok, how weird is this? I was driving on I271 last week and I saw this in the parking lot of the JCC. By the time it registered as something other than odd, I was past it. So I made sure I drove the same way the next day. Still there. It seemed a little like the Twilight zone, or Harry Potter-esque for all those born after the 90s. It was still there on Friday, so I drove to the lot and took some pictures close up. I was so curious what it was all about, where it came from, and the purpose of the upside-down part, other than the obvious – the bottom half of a bus flipped over on top of regular bus.

I found a bit of information on the other side of the bus when I got close. It’s from the organization Teva Learning Center, which I believe is based in NYC. They teach about interconnecting with nature and Judaism. This was not as exciting as I had anticipated (no offense to anyone). But, I am glad I investigated its origin. And I am presuming they are here in Cleveland coordinating some kind of program with the JCC.


Maybe they travel around the country and offer special introductions to their organization, or maybe just in certain areas.

I don’t have any idea what was so fascinating for me about this visual anomaly. I think it was like seeing a really huge, cool sculpture in the middle of an urban setting, like our “free” stamp (Claes Oldenburg). Or some of the other unusual sculptures around the country. Honestly, I just wanted to see the bus up close.


THESE ARE SEA CONTAINERS STACKED TO FORM A BUILDING - Pier 54 Chelsea,
architect shigeru ban
artist gregory cobert; nyc-architecture.com







THIS INSTALLATION WAS IN CENTRAL PARK -'THE GATES' by Christo and Jeanne-Claude


No comments: