Monday, April 13, 2009

our earth




With everyone doing a little bit to help the earth, and some people doing a lot, it is so appalling when I see the blatant tossing of trash out of a car window, or an engine running in part for an extended amount of time.


ON MY WALK THRU THE PARK THE OTHER DAY I SAW A WALMART RECEIPT ON THE GROUND. I was shocked. Partially because I don't find a lot of trash in our parks system. But also, because I think most everyone has accepted littering as a sin of sorts. I am sure this receipt accidentaly fell out of someone's pocket rather than the alternative.



After I saw the receipt I started thinking about all the receipts and to-do notes I am always accumulating, trying not to loose. And that led to thinking about the endless supply of paper I write these notes on.

All of this mindless thought and worry made me think of the whole recycle, sustainable, green movement that is happening all around us. We are at the point on this earth that if we don't change the way we live with regards to living 'lighter', there won't be much earth to live on. However, we didn't always think and/or worry about the air around us, the water in our rivers, or the soil.

But then I remembered this cute grocery list 'kit' I have at the shop. I don't know the exact date - 50's or 60's I am guessing.




















All of the sudden this random thinking had a purpose - sort of.

'Back in the day' (whenever that was), people didn't think about the earth and how they lived on it or abused it. They didn't look at what they could do now to save the earth later. And yet there was something like this gem. How much more 'green' can you get than a grocery list you can use over and over again? How conscientious, and they didn't even realize it.

Next thought... SWAPPING home accessories. Kind of like a civilized flea market or something like that. I read about a clothing swap party. It sounded like a great idea in terms of recycling cute things around your home that you have grown out of, and a way to get something new without spending alot of money. You know the old adage; one person's trash is another person's treasure.

I have proven that many times over. I recently found these great iron scroll-y benches at the 'collection' area near where I live. We take our trash there when we have more than what fits into our toters. These benches are light green and the seat is wood. They are a little beat up, but that works. I don't have to worry about leaving them outside all winter. They are sturdy and a great color in my backyard.

Maybe I will plan an event around the idea of bringing in any home furnishing that you are ready to pass on, and have great discussions, libations, some laughs, and the opportunity to come home with something new to put on a bookshelf or table.


Input from my followers or anyone else is always welcome.


1 comment:

Andrea said...

Love the idea of the furniture swap. Count me in. And what about accessories for the home that can find a better home with someone else.