Tuesday, March 17, 2009

yoga

RANDOM-NESS: Target has the best plain popcorn EVER!

Yoga, something I have always thought would be a good thing to do when I got older and couldn't run and really needed to stretch and strengthen my muscles softly. Well, here I am, older and can't run.

Now having gone to yoga with my daughter and her friends a couple of times, I will say, it is not as intimidating at 44 yrs as it was when I was twenty something and early 30's; walking into a room filled with women and men scantily dressed, and in mostly great shape. So when my little, hard-body, with a cute butt, daughter goes right up to the front line in the middle of the room and rolls out her mat, I am OK with it.


I am surprisingly more flexible than I thought I would be. And I can balance in the 'eagle' position fairly well. Of course there is another side to this accomplishment of being somewhat limber. I expect to do the 1/2 pigeon position.


















No coincidence this photo could pass as me, HA but no, because I couldn't get into this position, let alone get out of it and switch! Looks easy enough.



Staying focused, what I wanted to mention was how great my last visit to CLEVELAND YOGA was and why. It wasn't the physical challenges or benefits I experienced during or after the workout. It wasn't the relaxation, it was this one instructor, I think her name was Candy. Her role that day was to go around the very crowded room and adjust us as needed, while Tammy was leading the class. As I was ever so busy trying to concentrate on what I was supposed to be doing, trying to relax, empty my mind, not sweat my brains out (it is the HOT yoga class), all of the sudden, but delicately, I feel these incredibly gentle fingers, then palms very very slightly moving my hips to center and pushing down. I am not talking about a touch that was sexy, intimate, intrusive, or inappropriate. NONE of those. Her touch was like a feather dropping down from somewhere and landing on my back. Its not like I got some magic power from her and could suddenly 'do' the 1/2 pigeon like a yoga instructor - I still couldn't. But I think I felt some subtle energy passing from her hands to my back. It wasn't like a big, loud, sparkly something. It was more like telepathic, but through touch. If I hadn't been trying so hard to get my F*%#-ing leg up where it needed to be I might have missed the whole experience. T I imagine the ancient Chinese may have had moments like this one from practicing yoga millions of years ago.

I can't promise this will happen if you go to a class there, but I was not a believer in the whole relaxation, clearing of mind, breathing deep concept. As I mentioned I have always big into cardio exercising and the endorphin rush, big time. I couldn't understand how yoga could replace that feeling. I have to say that I did infact relax completely, and I didn't think of any other part of my life during the hour class, felt the mind out of body thing, it was cool. I will continue my journey with yoga.

No comments: